About Kickapoo Coffee Roasters & Our Viroqua Cafe
Since 2005, Kickapoo Coffee Roasters has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Opening this spring, our Viroqua Café shares the same high standards and delivers inspired coffees and delicious foods featuring fresh, local and organic ingredients. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Kickapoo Coffee seeks team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
This position will be responsible for creating a little bit of everything—from bread to cake, from pie to cookies—using fresh, local and organic ingredients. This role is integral in driving and maintaining high quality, creativity and simple goodness in all things baked at the cafe.
- Early arrival to the café – 4:00 a.m. start
- Filling the bakery case by baking prepared doughs and making new ones, utilizing provided recipes
- Working with baking equipment – stand mixers, ovens, food processor, knives, etc.
- Light lifting of 25-50 lb. bags of flour and sugar
- Recommend areas for improvement and efficiencies
- Other tasks as needed and assigned, sometimes beyond baking duties
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Experience in a professional kitchen desired, but not required. What is required is a love for baking, a lot of self-motivation, reliability and patience. For the right candidate, on-the-job training will be provided.
- Comfort with working independently and making judgment calls
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Excellent organization, multitasking and efficiency skills required
- Passion for ethically sourced, organic, high quality coffee and food, and supporting farmer cooperatives
- Good sense of humor a must
Hours, Wage & Location
Full- and part-time positions available
Hourly wage plus tips
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with
position title "Baker" in the subject line.