Roasting & Quality Manager
About Kickapoo Coffee Roasters
Since 2005, Kickapoo Coffee Roasters has worked to forge lasting, equitable partnerships with small-scale farmers. We work directly with growers and coffee cooperatives to ensure high standards for quality, sustainability and farmer compensation. Based in southwest Wisconsin’s beautiful Driftless region, Kickapoo Coffee seeks new team members who share in our mission and values and are eager to join in our growing, entrepreneurial-spirited, family-friendly work environment.
Working closely with the Director of Coffee, this position will play an active role in shaping Kickapoo Coffee Roasters’ coffee program. The Roasting & Quality Manager will be responsible for developing roast profiles and monitoring cup quality, spending a significant amount of time cupping and brewing coffees to perform analysis. The position will also be responsible for training the team of production roasters and educating all staff about our coffees and growers.
- Manage and develop roast profiles
- Perform daily cuppings and regular analysis of all coffees through a variety of brew methods
- Manage quality control for roasted coffee
- Manage in-house green bean inventory and certifications
- Handle green coffee shipping and receiving logistics
- Facilitate staff engagement with KCR’s coffee program
- Roast and approve green coffee samples
- Meet regularly with the Director of Coffee to communicate needs and feedback on green quality
- Manage and perform roaster maintenance schedules
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Roasting experience
- Proficient with cupping and brewing as tools to manage roast profiles
- Q-grade certification
- Involvement with industry groups (i.e. Roasters Guild, SCAA)
- Sample roasting experience
- Exposure to sourcing and importing and farmer visits
- Knowledge of coffee supply, growing, processing and handling practices
- Green coffee grading
- Proficiency with Microsoft office, especially Excel.
- Paid vacation + company holidays
- Retirement plan
- One free pound of coffee every week
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with position title “Roasting & Quality Mgr” in the subject line.